Mentor Logo Bridging Education

Study in UK

Visa Regulations

Entry clearance requirements

To be able to travel to the UK, you'll need a valid passport. So the first thing you should do is to make sure that you have one. You should do the early on, allowing plenty of time: getting a passport can take a minimum of a month to several months in India.

As well as a valid passport, you will also need to check to see whether you need 'entry clearance'. This is permission to enter the UK, and, if you need it, you will have to get it in advance, otherwise you may be turned away when you arrive, There are two different types:

  • Visas
  • Entry certificates

If you are not from the EEA, you'll need to check that you fulfil the following requirements in order to enter the UK as a student:

  • you must have been accepted by a university/college, private institution or independent school
  • your course must be a full-time on at a single institution, with a minimum of 15 hours of organised, daytime study per week
  • you'll need to show that you can pay for your course, and living expenses without working in the UK or claiming welfare benefits.
  • unless your course lasts more than six months, you must not plan to work in the UK, other than to do part-time (20 hours per week) and holiday work (full-time)
  • when the course ends, you must plan to leave the UK (unless in certain cases where the Home Office permits you to live and work in UK).

In India, the visa should be submitted through Visa Facilitation Service (VFS). The VFS has offices throughout India. Please contact Mentor Consultancy for further details and guidance.

To get a visa, you would require the following:

  • your passport
  • two recent passport-sized photographs of yourself
  • the appropriate fee, paid in your local currency
  • documents showing that you meet the entry requirements

Would you like to know what the popular courses are in the UK?

What to do:

Action Plan
Your action plan if you have decided to study in UK.